Nelson Monument, Edinburgh
The monument was constructed at the highest point of Calton Hill, replacing an earlier mast used to send signals to shipping in the Forth. This monument was funded by public subscription and built by local stonemasons Edinburgh an initial design prepared by Alexander Nasmyth. His pagoda-like design was deemed too expensive by the council , and an alternative design in the form of an upturned telescop was approved an object closely associated with Nelson—was obtained from the architect Robert Burn. Building began in 1807, and was almost complete with criagleith stone before the money ran out the following year. Burn died in 1815, and it was left to Thomas Bonnar to complete the pentagonal castellated building, which forms the base to the tower, between 1814 and 1816. the tower was comprehensively restored, including repairs to stonework by local stonemasons Edinburgh and metalwork.The monument is a category A listed building.
The castellated design reflects the castellated prison buildings which stood on the south side of Calton Hill in the early 19th century, The installation was carried out by James Ritchie & Son (Clockmakers) Ltd, who are still retained by City of Edinburgh Council to maintain and operate the time ball.