High-level Maintenance / Inspection
Edinburgh Stonemasons Ltd was asked to carry out a High-level inspection of chimneys roof and lime render and rainwater goods
We also carried out small high-level maintenance to the castle using rope access as a faster solution to scaffolding, this included cleaning and unblocking rainwater goods and lime pointing works
Our highly skilled and experienced stonemasons and lime workers are trained in conservation using traditional techniques and materials used which incorporate today’s best practices
CRANSHAWS CASTLE, HISTORY
Cranshaws Castle or Cranshaws Tower is a privately owned 15th-century people situated by the village of Cranshaws in Scottish Borders. The building is still in use as a residence,
The lands of Cranshaws were originally part of the Barony of Bothwell, which barony was created for David Olifard (ancestor of the current chief of the Oliphants) by King Malcolm IV in the mid 12th century. Occupancy (typically, this would have been a feu – the superiority remaining with the Barony of Bothwell) was then granted to a younger Olifard son, with whose line the estate remained for some centuries.
In 1329, the senior representative of the younger line but now 7th chief, William Oliphant, Lord of Aberdalgie, died and amongst the properties which he left was Cranshaws, which he had inherited from his Olifard forebears.
Edinburgh Stonemasons Ltd specialise in the conservation and restoration of stone buildings and structures. We use traditional techniques and materials which incorporate today’s best practices.